Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Hunting > MichiganBear.com
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MichiganBear.com Hunting bruins in the northern lower and upper peninsulas.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:38 PM
Charter Member
Rank Type

Photos: 4Users Photo Gallery

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by averageguy View Post
Are government employees lives more valuable requiring more punishment than for other people? I believe they were prentending to be regular people also, so is the punishment the same? Just wondering.

"Government employees" per se? No. Government law enforcement officers? Yes, as it should be.

Conservation officer is the most difficult law enforcement gig out there.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:04 PM
Guide

Does anyone know wich hunt club it was?
Remove this ad...  
Old 12-01-2009, 09:57 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop Tine View Post
The name of the hunt club is the 7 Mag Hill Hunt Club. http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/21703656/detail.html
Old 12-01-2009, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop Tine View Post
Anyone see this yet? The name of the hunt club is the 7 Mag Hill Hunt Club. Guess they had "taken over" state land adjacent to their property, and several club members hung illegal tree stands, and were using scew in steps for them, and had other state land violations. here's the link, followed by the article:
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/21703656/detail.html

ROSCOMMON, Mich. -- A member of a Roscommon County hunting club is accused of threatening state Department of Natural Resources investigators posing as hunters.

The 48-year-old Bay County man is expected to be arraigned Nov. 30 on assault and hunter harassment charges in Roscommon District Court, about 165 miles northwest of Detroit.

The DNR said Monday two of its detectives went undercover following complaints from people hunting on state land that they were being threatened. The agency says a man threatened to kill the detectives for being on what he considered his land.

Conservation officers later arrested the man, who also was charged with failing to wear hunter orange during firearm deer season and using an improper tree stand.
update: there are several people who are in this club with charges against them on this issue and many others. stay tuned, i hope they hook their low life asses up to the bars of their cells for 30 years to set an example of what will not be tolerated here in michigan.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 1Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by averageguy View Post
Are government employees lives more valuable requiring more punishment than for other people? I believe they were prentending to be regular people also, so is the punishment the same? Just wondering.
No, I don't think that a government employees life is more important. I'm not sure of the law. I do know that any crime done to a government employee, while performing thier job, seems to be punished more harshly. I think that the prosecutor should go after these people with guns a blazin'
Old 12-02-2009, 07:24 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3fingervic View Post
No, I don't think that a government employees life is more important. I'm not sure of the law. I do know that any crime done to a government employee, while performing thier job, seems to be punished more harshly. I think that the prosecutor should go after these people with guns a blazin'

Thing being is that this guy was a dick to officers while they were posing as hunters. He wasn't a dick to them because they were officers or investigators so they can't stick any charges relating to harrassing, threatening, assaulting(verbally) an officer. To be charged with anything relating to such the defendant would specificly have to target an officer while obviously uniformed OR intentionally target the officer because they are an officer. So pretty much when it comes down to it to be charged with "assaulting a peace officer" or the like the assaulter needs to be aware that the assaulted is in fact a peace officer in some way shape or form.

one can't be charged with assaulting a police officer if they get into it with a guy in the woods who happens to be a LEO and the fact isn't "brought up" but obviously you walk up and sock a CO, that charge is gonna be thrown at you.

Regardless of the grey areas in the law, these dicks need to be put in check, theyre the types that make it hard for everyone and are the types to scare away young, new or people on the brink of quitting the sport for whatever reason.

i know noone is gonna chase me away from the sport, but id sure be upset had i ran into someone saying i can't hunt a section of stateland... also possibly would've ended differently for the defendant had he confronted me with a weapon threatening me.

Gone Fishin...

Good luck and tight lines!
Old 12-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Guide

The prosecutor up here always backs the officer. For them to charge him with assualting an officer it had to happen after they identified themselves. My guess is cameras were probably rolling and the guy don't have a leg to stand on. We had a guy down the street that got busted for poaching and pretty much got away with a hand slap I confronted the CO on it and he said quote " we have two ways of looking at things greed and need " he was down on his luck pretty bad at the time. Not saying its right but he had no problem letting people know how he felt. I'm guessing these guys aren't needy.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 13Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANIEL MARK ZAPOLSKI View Post
update: there are several people who are in this club with charges against them on this issue and many others. stay tuned, i hope they hook their low life asses up to the bars of their cells for 30 years to set an example of what will not be tolerated here in michigan.
a half A(*ed attorney will get them 90 days probation, back dated to the date of incident, maybe a smal fine and loss of license for two years,,
Old 12-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Master Sportsman

Photos: 19Users Photo Gallery

There is so many things to say to this but after reading every ones response I'm on the same page with every one...... The real disappointing part is they have private land and want more, this is the type of club to be proud to take anything that moves on their property..... they need to rename it THE KILLING ZONE!
Old 12-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Master Sportsman

Default The Bay City times

Linwood man charged with threatening undercover DNR officers near private hunt club in Roscommon County

By LaNia Coleman | The Bay City Times

November 23, 2009, 3:29PM

State authorities have charged a Linwood man with assault and hunter harassment after an undercover investigation into complaints about a private hunt club in Roscommon County.
Department of Natural Resources officers have not released the name of the 48-year-old, a member of the 7 Mag Hill club, who allegedly threatened two plain-clothes detectives from the agency’s Special Investigations Unit.
The DNR had, for years, fielded complaints about club members threatening hunters on state land adjacent to the club’s property, said Mary Dettloff, a DNR spokeswoman.
The detectives, who were posing as hunters when they encountered the suspect on a two-track on state land, claim the suspect threatened to kill them “for being in what he considered his land,” Dettloff said.
The detectives called in conservation officers who not only arrested the man but cited him for failing to wear hunter orange during firearm deer season, improper tree stand and use of screws in tree steps on state land.
Conservation officers also cited other club members for improper tree stands and other state land violations.
Hunters who wish to report hunter harassment or other wildlife violations should contact the DNR’s Report All Poaching office at (800) 292-7800.
The suspect is to face arraignment Monday, Nov. 30, in Roscommon County District Court.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Master Sportsman

Default Here more

Harassment and Assault Charges Filed Against Hunter Who Threatened Undercover DNR Conservation Officers Contact: Mary Dettloff 517-335-3014
Agency: Natural Resources

Nov. 23, 2009
A 48-year-old Linwood man will be arraigned on assault and hunter harassment charges on Nov. 30 before Judge Daniel Sutton in the 83rd District Court in Roscommon County stemming from a threatening incident with two plainclothes detectives from the Department of Natural Resources' Special Investigations Unit on state-owned land.
The arrest culminates an investigation that was spurred by years of complaints from the public about the 7 Mag Hill hunting club in Roscommon County for threatening hunters who were hunting on state land adjacent to the club's property. The threats were preventing others from using the state-owned land. The two undercover detectives posed as hunters, walking along a two-track trail on the state land. They were then confronted by the club member arrested in the investigation, who allegedly threatened to kill them for being in what he considered his land. The detectives left the area and contacted uniformed DNR conservation officers, who arrested the individual. Several other members of the 7 Mag Hill club were cited for improper tree stands and other state land violations. The club member arrested also was charged with failing to wear hunter orange during firearm deer season, one count of an improper tree stand and use of screws in tree steps on state land. The DNR reminds all hunters that state lands are open for all who wish to utilize the resource. Members of the public wishing to report hunter harassment or other wildlife violations should contact the DNR's Report All Poaching Line at 800-292-7800.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Guide

Photos: 6Users Photo Gallery

Never been hassled by club members but I know they use to "expand " their property lines by stringing wire on stateland or posting on m30 between gladwin and westbranch.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Eudaimonia
Rank Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6inchtrack View Post
Could have been the wrong person.
Say your going to kill me, while holding a gun?
Self defense.

ditto
Old 12-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Master Sportsman

Location: Bon Aqua Tennessee, and Roscommon Michigan, Born and raised in Inkster Michigan
Default harrasment

They need to be dealt with.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Guide

Photos: 6Users Photo Gallery

Any info on what the outcome of this was?